This honors-level course covers principles of chemistry, including atomic theory and chemical bonding, the periodic table, unit conversions, chemical formulas, the mole concept, and stoichiometry. It includes extensive use of algebraic concepts throughout each lesson. This course is taught by an award-winning chemistry teacher and includes use of the Virtual ChemLab software. This is the first course in a two-part Honors Chemistry series (CHEM 061 and CHEM 063).
Students will need a scientific calculator. Students will be required to download free software to participate in virtual labs.
Algebra 1, Part 2 (ALG 053) or equivalent
1. Inorganic Chemical Nomenclature
2. Inorganic and Hydrocarbon Nomenclature
3. The Mathematics of Chemistry
4. The Mole Concept
5. Using the Mole Concept
6. Chemical Reactions and Equations
8. Atomic Theory
9. Electron Clouds and Probability
10. The Periodic Table and Chemical Bonding